I’ve just finished teaching an intensive course on 21st century survival skills at New York University (at the Abu Dhabi campus).
Our brilliant class - representing every continent - had as their final assignment a project to apply new technology to global challenges.
Their ideas included:
- apps and games to incentivise better environmental choices
- new social platforms to connect global citizens (like Tinder for the curious); help people get out of their echo chambers; curate news and opportunities for youth activists; and create space for activists and problem solvers to come together to tackle global problems
- smart tattoos that can warn of natural disasters and help channel disaster response
- technology to help refugees access education, teachers on the move to connect with pupils on the move, and vulnerable populations reduce the risk of sexual violence and access counselling
- a smart fridge that can reduce food wastage
- an app that can connect rural areas to vital medical services
- a platform for governments to share counter-terrorism information
We’re looking to share these with potential partners. Please get in touch if you want to connect direct to the students to discuss.